banana plant lighting

kevinlc1August 3, 2008

I have a new banana plant. I live in NYC and lighting in the winter is not so great, I'm not sure if an incandescent or florescent grow light is best or what wattage is sufficent. Also I just repotted the banana plant in a 9" pot without a draining hole only to learn they prefer draining, but I put a little over an inch of rock bedding in the Pot. Will this be OK?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oppalm(6)

first of all, you will have to repot to a container that has drainage holes in it for the long term health of the plant. even though bananas love water too much water in winter will rot the corm. Water sparingly during wintertime. second, I am assuming you just want the plant to survive the winter. It will probably survive with a couple of 75W or 100W flood lights pointed down on the tree. good luck.

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 7:12PM
kevinlc1

Thanks for the advice. I'll definately make the change. Are you familiar with the Mass Cane plant and it's likes.

Bookmark   August 3, 2008 at 7:44PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Mass cane also likes good drainage and to get fairly dry on top before being watered again. Can handle bright light to fairly low light. One of my favorite indoor plants, actually, especially where something tall and not too wide is needed.

How tall is your banana, and does it summer outdoors or is it indoors all year?

Bookmark   August 4, 2008 at 9:51PM
cannabisgrower

Hi, you need about 2500 lumens per square foot as a general rule to keep a plants happy. Incandescent light is poor for growing, you need some other kind of light: look in Amazon for an HPS security light, they're cheap. Otherwise use a shoplight or two, depending on how big is the plant. Sativa.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
How to translate lux reading from phone app into lumens/ft2
I took a reading from where one of my succulents was...
Bama_Joe
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
growing tomatoes indoors; what lights to use? help!
I basically want to grow tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants,...
kawaiineko_gardener
6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial Grade
The 6" Inch Titan Inline Fan 440 CFM Industrial...
Dane Theisen
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™