halted seedlings

jardinerowaJuly 2, 2010

Hello all,

So I'm in the desert southwest where it's been 100-110 lately and I recently started bush beans outside. (I know I know, it's too hot). Some are in peat pots and others thrown in good dirt. They all of course sprouted and gave their first true leaves. I can see the next true leaves as little "nubs" but they don't grow. None of them GROW. They aren't sick looking or dying, they just are halted. I also started eggplant and they are progressing fine. I'm not sure what the problem is. I was thinking the ones in the peat pot need more root room so I was going to transplant them to a large container, but that doesn't explain why the beans in the ground aren't progressing either. Any ideas?

I was told beans and eggplants (especially the latter) can do well in hot weather and so am trying these out.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jardinerowa

Update:

About two weeks later and I after planted all the beans in containers, they still have essentially sat there and done nothing. They are trying to grow their next set of true leaves but they aren't growing fast enough. Because of their slowness to grow, I've lost some to birds already. I have them in little sun in the morning so they don't fry in the 110 degree weather. I know beans like hot weather. I have seen no pests.

In the backyard, my eggplant seedlings have taken off in the same heat. Had a problem with whiteflies but my attempts to take care of them are paying off.

Z

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 10:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
booberry85(5)

There might be a few things slowing down your been progress. Most beans like warm weather, but 110 degrees is HOT! Some Asian beans might fair well in it, but other beans start to protest when it's 95 degrees outside give or take.

Also beans don't like to have their roots disturbed.

The white flies you can just spray away with water.

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 4:20PM
More Discussions
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Shelly Beans
I was just discussing an heirloom bean, "Ma Williams",...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Show Me Your Trellis
This bean trellis was anchored by three foot long steel...
jimster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™