Sunlight vs 24 hour fluorescent

reagle916August 14, 2014

So I've read lots of posts that sunlight is best for growing but you can buy and use grow lights too as another option.

So I'm trying to grow a snake plant larger so I can put it in my office to add some life. I recently bought it and it was pretty small (only two shoots and maybe 8" tall). Right now my only goal is to try to get it to grow bigger.

Right now I have it pretty close to a south facing window in my house. My office has no natural light but my company is a three shift operation so the lights are on 24 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. I could also move the plant to my office right now, where it would sit almost right under a fixture of fluorescent lights. The fixture has 3 T8 bulbs, 4100K, 28W each, about 48" above where I would put the plant.

Question: Sunlight is supposedly the best but if I have access to free fluorescent light that's already on almost all the time, which one is likely to be the best for faster growth?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RamAlaRag

I am an amateur when it comes to lights, but, when I have looked into fluorescent lighting for succulents and cacti, everyone suggests the fluorescents to be 6-10" above the top of the plants... so, I don't think it would be very effective. My snake plants grow in a low light corner of my room just fine, no direct. They grow pretty slow however.

I think you should keep it in the window, and maybe provide some supplemental light for the day. Then move it into the office.

Remember, every plant needs rest from light.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
T5 vs T8 and equivalent
Obviously T5s are the better choice for indoor growing,...
gardev
What are the Consequences of Leaving Lights on 24/7
My seedlings are just shy of 3 weeks old. Almost all...
kandm
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
Cost-Efficient Lighting
Does anyone know what the most cost-efficient lighting...
Tigger033
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™