Lily bulbs - who is the BEST supplier? And when to plant?

irish_rose_grower(z7 LI NY)July 24, 2006

I want to buy some more lily bulbs. I was wondering who is THE BEST online supplier of huge healthy bulbs and are they planted in fall and spring?

I've tried so far, the lily garden, van englen and brent and beckys.

Also, anyone know why my casa blaca from the lily garden is stunted and looks like it is dying off? It never got any buds and was very small, now it's turning light green and looks like it's on it's way out. I'm new to lilys so not sure why this is happening. The other casa blaca is planted in the same bed about 2' away and looks fine.

Thanks

Maureen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobby1973

hi maureen,

i bought my bulbs last august from bloomingbulb.com for fall planting, and i had great results this spring. the plants came up tall and healthy and produced really georgeous blooms. hope this helps!

~bobby

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 8:16AM
mac_girl_81(10 - ENCINO, CA)

i bought mine from QVC. Hahahaha, i know what u r thinking BUT they are gorgeous!! Big!!!!!!! But Casablanca that i got from ebay is dying,the leaves are brownish and the flower is small and brownish.

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 2:16PM
phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)

We got GREAT lilies from John Scheepers, The Bulb Crate, The Lily Garden, Brent and Becky's Bulbs and a few from White Flower Farm. I'd say the LEAST EXPENSIVE by far were JS. They are blooming like crazy right now. BuggyCrazy sent us HUGE bulbs, but she isn't selling lilies much longer. I wish I had purchased more from her when I could. BTW, I wouldn't recommend Jackson and Perkins...I planted 8 Orienpets, 5 came up and they were SKINNY and had 1 little bloom each. :0( Hope you find some good bulbs! :0) Phyl

Bookmark   July 25, 2006 at 10:14PM
carygardener(7b)

I bought a lot of bulbs from VanEngelen.com - they are the same sellers as John Scheepers ..only a bit cheaper. But by far, the best results I got were from the bulbs I bought at Walmart. I bought the bulbs as soon as they arrived at Walmart and planted them early this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Orientals from Walmart

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 6:54AM
alina_1

carygardener , are they all from Wlmart??? They are gorgeous!8-)

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 10:07AM
carygardener(7b)

Thanks !
Yes, all orientals are from Walmart. The bulbs are fresh when they arrive so the key is to buy them as soon as they are available.
It is pity that Walmart keeps selling them as late as May.

VanEngelen had run out of Orientals late last year when I tried to order.

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 11:45AM
alina_1

Do you remember when you bought them? I am in the same zone. They still sell Easter Gift buskets with Lollipops and Mona lisa lilies! I checked - just in case - all bulbs are dead.

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 12:13PM
hld6(z7 MD)

Hi All,
Keep in mind that since Lilies are best planted in the Fall all sellers don't ship in the Spring. John Scheepers/Van Engelen doesn't have any spring sales.
Brent and Becky's sells both Fall and Spring but their selection changes.

Note also that unlike daffodils, lily bulbs don't ever go truly dormant and should be kept moist and should have some roots apparent when you purchase them. Its more like transplanting. That said, bargain bulbs (WalMart, Home Depot, etc.,) will often grow fine because bulbs have enough strength to send out new roots. But your first season might be less than spectacular.

John Scheepers/Van Engelen is cheap enough that if you think to order in the Fall it's a lot better overall bargain than WalMart.

The Lily Garden is probably the best for bulb quality. Plus they grow their own lilies so they have very good quality control (i.e., no viruses) and dig them up per order shortly before shipping them out. But you are paying for that and I wouldn't use them for standard varieties like Stargazer, Casa Blanca, etc., that you can get anywhere. Also, because they are lily hybridizers you can find truly amazing new lilies that you can't get anywhere else. (Check out their lilies marked "CP" for Columbia Platte and their "Dr. North Asiatic hybrids.)

In the Spring I order from Brent and Becky's. They are intermediate in price and in quality between Van Engelen and The Lily Garden. I've gotten good service from them and good results from their bulbs.

-Helen

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 2:56PM
carygardener(7b)

I bought them in January. I guess the mild winter in NC helped. I think I got pretty good flowers in the first season itself as you can also see in the pictures.

I agree with hld6 though that lilies never go dormant and that fall is the best time to plant them. If you buy it at the right time i.e. fall, most vendors will have good bulbs.

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 4:28PM
ezlivin1

I'm happiest with Scheepers for the last several years. All lilies have been true to name. Are there any nurseries in NY selling potted plants? Those give me much better first season growth than the bulbs, but I haven't found a single nursery in PA, De, or MD where they have a good stock (with the exception of Stargazer).

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 2:53PM
oldroser(z5)

I've gotten great lilies from Brent & Becky and also from B&D in Oregon. The auratum lilies are flowering now - over my head and more than a dozen open blooms at one time. The whole front garden is full of fragrance.

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 3:17AM
tyshee(Z 3 & 4)

The best places are The Lily Garden, B & D and then Valley K greenhouses and the Lily Nook in Canada. Also contact your local Lily Society. You will pay an import fee on the Canadian Lilies but there is a huge selection. I especially like Valley K.

Bookmark   August 12, 2006 at 8:52AM
thirdmajorgirl(4)

I LIKE VESEY`S IN CANADA FOR LILY BULBS.

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 1:03AM
singhji

Hi,
Does Agriculture Canada/Canada Customs allow lilly bulbs from the USA

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 5:43PM
flora2b(z6a bc)

If ordering bulbs from the US to Canada you need a phyto certificate. I have only ordered from The Lily Garden and they provided it for customs.......cost $19.00 extra, if I remember correctly, but they included an extra bulb or two to help with the cost.

Bookmark   August 11, 2008 at 9:25AM
More Discussions
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
"boarder lillies"
I am looking for some interesting perennial choices...
posierosie_zone7a__
Sponsored Products
Eangee Mini Square Burgundy Accent Lamp
$56.91 | Lamps Plus
Cypress Accent Table
Fifthroom.com
Devynn Chair - BROWN
$2,329.00 | Horchow
The Farm House Bird House - White with Red Cedar Shingle Roof
Signature Hardware
Carlisle Etagere in Gray Finish, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE