growing romaine lettuce indoors

fenderman(Pacific NW)September 7, 2005

I have a 250 watt metal halide bulb over an area of 2' x 3'. I've got romaine lettuce started in this grow area, but want to get some feedback. It works out to 42 watts per square foot, is that too much for lettuce? Not enough? Just right? Also, I've heard different things about the hours of daylight/ darkness that is ideal for lettuce, any advice? Anybody with experience growing romaine indoors (or any onther kinds of lettuce), their feedback would be much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
username_5(banned for no reason)

You should be fine.

Make sure the light is far enough away from the plants so they don't burn, lettuce doesn't like heat at all.

Lettuce is a shade tolerant veggy and the footcandles of light your 250 provides when 2-3 feet above the plants is about the equivalent of the outdoors on an overcast spring/fall day which is when lettuce does it's best. When you consider that many grow lettuce in window covered cold frames during the low sun intensity period of winter it becomes clear that lettuce will do just fine indoors, under lights.

Heck, nearly every hydroponic grower starts with lettuce because it is about the easiest plant to grow this way under lights.

Bookmark   September 7, 2005 at 10:03AM
More Discussions
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
T5 vs T8 and equivalent
Obviously T5s are the better choice for indoor growing,...
gardev
Greens stunted, please help
Hello, I've been trying to grow salad greens with a...
kate104
germinating and lighting
I am about to start some hot pepper seeds I ordered...
mikwya
Bell peppers
My flowers fall off before fruit developes. Any suggestions?...
AliMatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™