asiatic lillies - rebloom?

bobby1973July 23, 2006

hi all, i planted a bed of asiatic lilly bulbs last fall ('05') and they successfully bloomed about 1 month ago. but the blooms only lasted about 2 weeks before the flower petals started falling off to the ground. is 2 weeks the usual run for asiatics? doesn't seem like much of a bloom period considering how long i had to wait for the stems & foliage to pop up and establish their buds. interesting thing though - after the flower petals dropped about 2 weeks ago, i left the foliage there standing so that they could transfer sufficient energy back down to their bulbs. i figured i would just cut them down to the ground once they started yellowing. but i just took a close looks at them, and it appears that they're all forming buds again! do asiatic lillies typically bloom more than once a season? i'd certainly be delighted:)

thanks so much!

bobby

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Hi Bobby, no Asiatics do not rebloom, and yes 2 weeks is a pretty reasonable bloom period for them. Most gardeners who love lilies will plant several different varieties with different bloom periods to make sure there's something to look at for a long time. When you buy lily bulbs if you see designations of 'E', 'MS' or 'L' that tells you they bloom either Early, Mid-Season, or Late.

I suspect what you're seeing that looks like new buds forming are actually seed pods developing (sorry). You can trim them off to divert even more energy into the bulb for next year. What you have done by leaving the stems and leaves alone is the right thing. You should leave them until early winter when they will go brown and dry and are easy to cut off.

Bookmark   July 23, 2006 at 10:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobby1973

ok, thanks so much for your thoughtful response!

Bookmark   July 23, 2006 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™