Is this normal? Black Bean Plants turning yellow

kingdvd74July 19, 2013

Hello everyone! Longtime reader, first time poster. I live in Indianapolis and planted black, navy, pinto and kidney beans in my Garden Tower Project container with about 10 plants each around the sides and on May 20th. They are growing great, especially the black and navy with long healthy looking pods. The others are vining and just started growing pods about 3 weeks ago or so. I'm growing them to dry. The last few days it has been in the low to mid 90's with the deck temp reaching 100 or over but the area gets sun from 11am to 2pm and 4pm to 7pm so it gets a break. The yellowing of the leaves and pods started slightly along the bottom rows first but not so bad until I noticed this morning the pods too are yellowing on all of my black and navy plants. I've been taking pictures pretty much daily of the whole container and some close ups. Not sure how to post multiples so I'll start with today's. I'm new at growing beans so I don't know if this is happening because they are reaching their end or if it is a disease. My other beans are still nice and green but I noticed something strange on one of the leaves. I'll post a pic of it too. Thanks for your help and look forward to your insightful responses. If there is another thread that addresses this please post a link. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kingdvd74

This was taken 7/13/13

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 12:01PM
kingdvd74

Pinto bean problem?

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 12:07PM
kingdvd74

front of tower 7/19/13

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 12:13PM
kingdvd74

back side of tower 7/19/13

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 12:17PM
kingdvd74

tower 5/20/13

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 12:34PM
farmerdill

It is normal for dry type beans, Black, Pinto, Navy etc to turn yellow and defoliate as the pods dry. Makes harvest easier.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 1:17PM
kingdvd74

So I should slow my watering of that side to allow them to dry more on vine or pull the plants and hang them in my hot shed to dry further? There are some that still have green pods on them. leave those alone? Thanks for replying.

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™