colorful oriental lilies bloom white

sunnytopJuly 3, 2012

Does anybody know what causes my colored oriental lilies to bloom white instead? I thought Bluestone had sent me the wrong color so they sent me replacement. After 3 years the Pink Perfection finally turned pink but each year is a different intensity of pink. Some years the whole bloom is pink and some years only the veins. The same thing is happening with a yellow oriental I planted last year. It came up white with a very faint hint of yellow on the edges.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

'Pink Perfection' is not an oriental but a trumpet lily - actually an Aurelian hybrid trumpet lily. There is a great deal of color variation with this particular lily grouping (Division 6) and those sold today are more correctly sold as the 'Pink Perfection Group' and colors range anywhere from a very pale, almost blush pink to a deep purplish-red.

If your other lilies are also Aurelian hybrids rather than orientals that could account for their color variability as well.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 1:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunnytop

You are right. My mistake. And yes, the ones that vary in color are the trumpet lilies. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
Is there any hope??
I have lilies that grow wild on the side of my house....
Twin Cities Trade
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™