Ok to ship to Zone 8 right now?

mmqchdygg(Z5NH)October 17, 2008

I'm in New England. I dug up a patch of irises recently, and I have a friend in the PNW in Zone 8 where they will obviously do well.

If you're in Zone 8, can you tell me if it's still ok to ship these there in time for her to get them in the ground? I hope...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marvine(z7/8 GA)

I'm in zone 7/8 (Middle Georgia) and I have about 150 out of the ground right now, that I will be transplanting next week. They will do just fine. They might not all bloom next Spring but that's O.K. Marvin E.

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 6:56PM
denise_z7(OR)

Where bouts in zone 8 in PNW as right now in Lebanon and Albany we have had one hard freeze

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 10:11PM
wmoores(7/8 MS)

Zone numbers are determined by the lowest temperature in an area and not the length of the winter.

Winter in Zone 8 in OR where Denise lives has already started.

I live on the borderline of Zone 8, ten miles away, and I have planted bare root irises as late as mid November. We ususally get our first hard freeze right around Thanksgiving, but it has held off until early December at times.

Last year I moved some clumps around on December 30, but I moved the entire root ball. They bloomed beautifully in the spring.

It just depends on where in Zone 8 you are.

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 6:01AM
chere(7)

Sometimes in these zones you can be in the 80s in December.

Chere

Bookmark   October 18, 2008 at 2:02PM
mikesc

I live in Zone 8, and we're still planting here. In fact, I have several increases I am donating to our College tomorrow. They will be fine.

Mike in Coastal SC

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 3:35PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

80's in Dec Z8 Pacific Northwest - I only wish! :) We're lucky to see sun, and to find soil dry enough to spade without destroying soil structure.

We've had light frost, a hard frost this month is possible but unusual. I moved some iris around just a few days ago, I expect they will be fine. Ship away to your lucky friend.

Bookmark   October 19, 2008 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
Irises
I live in Virginia and was told I need to cut back...
maxymom
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™