new to lilies, have virus.

GeeDaveyJuly 4, 2005

I bought a mixture of asiatic and oriental lilies (25 each) from VanEngelen last year. Along with 100 tulips, they were planted in a smallish bed (2 x 8).

I'm pretty sure several have the virus. We did have aphids aplenty this spring. A few have the mottled coloration, others have broken flowers or the leaves are browning rapidly.

How can I pull and replace the bulbs in tight quarters? Should I dig the whole thing up? It almost seems easier, especially if the lilies are all likely to get infected.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pardalinum(z8 PNW)

For the lilies with virus symptoms, I would remove some soil above the bulb and clip the stem off. The virus transmits by aphids on the foliage. The browning leaves are a symptom of botrytis fungal infection, common when a bed is overcrowded. Enjoy the oriental lilies for the remaining season, then dig everything up in the fall, removing and discarding the diseased bulbs. If you don't have aphids or other sucking insects now, you have nothing to lose. Replant, keeping lilies separate from tulips (which can carry the color breaking virus). Lilies need a lot more space betweem them. In my opinion, I would not add any new lilies until you see how these turn out next year.

I bet your little garden is putting on a nice show in spite of the sad situation.

Bookmark   July 4, 2005 at 12:23PM
More Discussions
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Please identity my Lily
I have attached a picture of a Lily type plant that...
Terrispirit
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
got my first peace lilly...
On the sale rack at a big box store. Ive looked around...
jameya
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™