Want Another Like Double Your Fun

harryshoe zone6 eastern PennsylvaniaOctober 23, 2013

Double Your Fun was our first Bearded Iris. We are very pleased with this plant because it is low growing (20"), compact, reblooms and stayed healthy and green throughout a long season. Even without blooms it is very attractive. It is a perfect plant for the front of a mixed bed.

I would like to plant another Bearded Iris with similar characteristics.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Harry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Iris height may vary year to year with some cultivars.

I don't know the growth patterns of these rebloming Intermediate Beardeds (IB) and I don't know of a site with that information. Don't know how tall either! Heights are listed at some sites like Blue J Iris. Also at the American Iris Society (linked below). For rebloomers Sutton's is a site to visit. They seem to specialize in RE and SA's. (some space-agers (SA) with the odd extended beard, which may even have a small ruffled petal, will have a normal beard some years. Others are consistant)

Abbey Chant - yellow standards, white falls edged yellow, violet extended beard, Sutton'97

Blessed Again - yellow standards, white falls, white beard yellow in throat, Jones'76, HM'78 (19")

Bugaboo - funny shade of mauvy-lav (?) with irregular darker fall area, fall edges lighter, beard orange, Keppel'06 (picture color varies a lot on Bugaboo)

Constant Companion - rich purple-lav., shaded fall, pale lav. beard, Marsh'92

Maui Moonlight - moonlight yellow, Aitkin'87, Sass Medal'93 (oops. 23")

Pink Pele - begins as peachy-orng. with lg. raspberry fall area, orange beard, HM'98

Viper - beige_ish in most pictures with lg. light fall area, strong lav. SA beard orng. in throat, Sutton'99

You may find an occasional shorter Border Bearded; 'Bubbling Ballet' is listed at 20".

Did you have particular colors in mind? And are rebloomers preferred?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://wiki.irises.org/

Bookmark   October 23, 2013 at 11:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Thanks Iris_gal. Rebloomers are nice. Especially in a mixed bed.

As far as color goes. just about anything. Probably best if it was different than Double Your Fun. Maybe a solid blue.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
First Pseudata
This is the first pseudata (I. pseudacorus X I. ensata)...
eroctuse2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™