Iris and Astillbe

hosta_house(IL 6)October 6, 2007

When my church sold their property (which I took care of) it contained hundreds of Iris, Ferns, Peonies,etc.

The building and landscape was to be bulldozed over to make way for some commercial development. I spent a week loading my truck and distibuted these plants to family,friends and neighbors and crowded my beds in my own small yard,when I had bought my 100 year old home, I found it had many Bearded Iris (mostly the purple variety)among other plants and I've probably added another fifty or so Bearded Iris along a strip of Astille. Knowing that Astille need lots of water I've read that Iris don't like wet feet, we've had a very dry summer this year and they seem to be thriving but I'm wondering if this might be a problem in the future?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Good for you in your rescue of the plants.

The excess watering may prevent future bloom. So much depends upon the soil. Fast draining? Nutrient content??

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 5:45PM
laurief_gw

I see two potential problems with your situation. First, bearded irises are easily rotted if overwatered. They are quite drought tolerant and will stay healthier in a bed where the soil provides excellent drainage and is allowed to dry out between waterings. In fact, bearded irises generally require no supplemental water at all unless you are growing them in arid or drought conditions.

Second, aren't astilbes primarily shade or partial shade plants? Bearded irises perform best in full sun and may refuse to bloom or bloom only sparsely in insufficient sun.

Laurie

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 8:29PM
ofionnachta(z6 WNJ)

Not a good combination on account of their differing water requirements, but you saved them -- so letting them rest there temporarily was good. However, I would be thinking of homes to transfer them to.

I would put the ferns with the astilbes, and the irises & peonies together! But not too close. They both like lots of sun.

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 8:08PM
More Discussions
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™