So, what do you use?

barb_roselover_inSeptember 29, 2006

It is time for me to start up my indoor gardening for the winter in my basement under lights. I have trouble keeping everything watered sufficiently, and I wondered how you all handle this? I have used the APS system using the styrofoam containers, but only part of it. What do some of you do? When I use the APS system with the fabric that draws the water up, I have trouble with the fabric getting all dirty and slick. I have tried different things to help this along--to no avail. I thank you in advance - Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maineman(z5a ME)

Barb,

After my plants get started I grow them under overdriven fluorescents in tall pots made from the bottom parts of 2-liter soft drink bottles. I place the pots in trays that can hold an inch or two of water and let the water "wick" up into the growing medium.

For prolonged growth times, there can be salt build-up from tap water. I use rain water or melted snow in order to get something close to distilled water without the cost.

Most soluble nutrient formulas don't contain calcium, even though that is a "macronutrient". I use calcium nitrate to provide the calcium in a soluble form.

MM

Bookmark   October 1, 2006 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
grow spot light
If i use a really low beam angle led grow light can...
surixurient
Energy efficient grow lighting
We are probably going to buying a nice heavy duty heated...
oldbat2be
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
What are the Consequences of Leaving Lights on 24/7
My seedlings are just shy of 3 weeks old. Almost all...
kandm
High Output CFL - worth using?
Hi all. Assume I won a tiny lottery <g>. My current...
andyinnyc
Sponsored Products
Outdoor Lanterns. 150 Degree Laurelstone Motion Sensing Decorative Lantern - Rus
$58.56 | Home Depot
100W 24V DC ELV LED Power Supply
Lightology
Marais Teak/Stainless Shaving Pedestal
$149.50 | FRONTGATE
Canterbury Park Avenue Dining Table in Brown
Beyond Stores
Electri-Chef Island Marine 48 in. Built-In Electric Grill Multicolor - 8800-EC-1
Hayneedle
Black Metal Hexagon Pendant Lamp
Cost Plus World Market
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™