Weeds!!!

NGOYEOctober 6, 2012

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of weeds in irises on a large scale? We have a field about an acre in size and need to get rid of a very bad weed problem and then keep them weed free!!

Thanks heaps!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Some iris growers use solarization each time they divide the irises. The plastic is expensive and difficult to recycle, though. And it depends on your growing zone. What zone are you in?

Many people use a pre-emergent herbicide called Preen. I have never used it. You must clear the weeds first, then apply the Preen to prevent new weeds from sprouting.

If you have irises in straight rows, you can put down thick sheets of newspaper and cardboard between the raised rows and cover it with mulch. You still have to weed between the irises, though.

Do not use glyphosphate or Round-Up around irises. They are extremely sensitive to it. Even a little waft of wind can ruin the iris blooms for a year or two and stunt the plant.

Renee

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 1:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NGOYE

Hi Renee,

Thanks for your quick reply. The irises are in South Africa but we currently live in Zambia and are doing all of this by 'remote control'. we have taken over a very run down plot that has a lot of plants in the ground but lots of weeds too!! we are going to spend the next couple of years lifting, divinding, sorting etc. at present they are in rows but we are thinking about planting in beds instead as the rows have become a little strung out and the total area to maintain is too large.

Thanks heaps!

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
Moving iris
I have a large bed of Iris that I inherited. I have...
Beth1234
Iris bloomed Oct. - Nov. in Missouri Question about Pods
I have had a area of Irises in my backyard for years......
lydia1959
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™