tiger lilies of different colors question

carlos35July 26, 2006

I have the wild tiger lilies ( lancifolium?). the ones that produce the bulbils along the stem. do they come only in orange? are there any other colors?. I like the fact that they are so easy to reproduce by the bulbils that grow on their stems. but I would like to have other colors . can you let me know their botanical or varieties names if you know and their respective colors. thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twohuskies(z4A Mpls, MN)

I have some yellow 'Citronella' tiger lilies. I have some pink lilies that may be tigers. I've also seen red ones though I don't know what the name was..

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 1:44PM
hld6(z7 MD)

Citronella looks a lot like a tiger lily but I think it is actually an asiatic and who knows, with the way "common names" are used there may be a tiger lily called citronella as well. There are hybrid tiger lilies that have different colors form the species (the orange one). Check these out.

-Helen

Here is a link that might be useful: Van Engelen trigrinium lilies

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 7:27PM
northspruce(z3a MB CDA)

Yes there is disagreement about what Citronella actually is. I have some and I like them a lot. I only noticed this year (I have had them for about 10 years) that they have bulblets. Here is mine if you would like to see it.

I also have what was sold as a pink tiger lily but it does not form bulblets. It does reproduce pretty steadily though. I just found it at a local hardware store.

Bookmark   July 26, 2006 at 11:52PM
carlos35

thank you so much to all of you for the info. the van engelen site looks really good. I will definitellly have to purchase the white one. thanks

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 12:10PM
More Discussions
Help my Peace Lily? I think it might be dead....
It looks like this. Pretty unpromising. I think I watered...
cactussalad
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
Please help me grow this Lily plant?
I have had this Lily for a long while. Very rarely...
Fathim_Zazu
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™