When to pick green beans

applebuilder(North Orange County (SoCal))July 19, 2009

Just wondering when I should harvest green beans. I know people say to pick it before the seeds form lumps, but I tried one like that and it tasted 'green'. It seems to get a little sweeter if you let the seeds plump up a bit, but I've only tried a few so I don't have much to compare with. I don't think I've ever had homegrown beans before so is that just how they're supposed to taste? These are Kentucky Wonder's by the way, thanks! Oh, also I thought Kentucky Wonder pods were on the large side, but before these get to 4 inches they're already forming lumps.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iam3killerbs(7 NC Sandhills)

I don't grow KW's so I can't comment on the specific variety, but growing conditions will affect the size with smaller beans appearing during periods of stress.

Try picking them at different stages. Experience will teach you to recognize the phase of development when they best suit your tastebuds.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with not agreeing about the "right" stage for picking something. I like my greenbeans with little seed, but I prefer my squash a little more mature than most -- with seeds developing but not yet going hard.

Bookmark   July 20, 2009 at 7:39AM
More Discussions
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™