Companion Planting for Bearded Iris

bear_with_me(8 Pacific NW)October 5, 2013

Since bearded irises don't look like much for most of the year, I've been experimenting with companion planting. I don't have a lot of conclusions yet.

I wanted plants that would stay small, and not need water in the summer. Culinary herbs seemed like a good choice.

Last winter I planted lemon balm, various types of thyme, chives, parsley. All of those grew too big. Also oregano, which grew too big.

I think I will keep the edges of the raised bed with a row of garlic chives. Those seem to stay fairly compact in this setting.

Along one edge, I planted anemones. Those stayed small, but not much of a show in the summer.

This fall I am trying a different approach. I planted starts of a low growing sedum, and some Sempervivum varieties. Also interspersed among the clumps, I added Narcissus - especially small growing types - and hyacinths.

I like having culinary herbs among the irises, but they seem to grow too big.

Wondering if others have companion plants for irises. The goal for me is plants that repel, or at least don't attract, deer and rabbits, or have a cooking role, or give pollen and nectar for bees. They should not shade the rhizomes or crowd them too much. They should be dry tolerant in the summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

The herbs you mentioned should be sheared back into the size and shape you like several times a year.
I use golden sage between my irises, but it gets big and has to be trimmed back or ripped out every few years.
I also use columbines for flowers, and I like garlic chives too, especially when they bloom. Yarrow is a good choice, especially the gray-leafed varieties.
For annuals I like violas- they reseed and don't cause problems for iris rhizomes.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 2:05AM
More Discussions
how to PM someone??
On this new site I don't see any way to PM anyone....
pembroke
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Heirloom Iris
I am the Steward of a historic garden on the grounds...
benton1873
iris borers
Last year I had several iris clumps that collapsed...
auntie_grizelda
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Flood Lights. Low Voltage 50-watt Black Landscape Spotlight
$52.20 | Home Depot
Agave Drum Pendant by Zaneen
$2,645.28 | Lumens
&'Costa | Bambu R Wall Light
$744.00 | YLighting
Vondom | Adan Pot, Matte Finish
YLiving.com
Silk 5-foot Bamboo Grass Plant
Overstock.com