picking and shelling pink-eyes

chuck60July 29, 2009

This is my first time growing Southern peas. The pods on my pink-eyes are getting purple and have seeds about as big as the black-eyed peas I'm familiar with as dried peas. I shelled one yesterday and it was a bit difficult getting the peas out without breaking them up. Should I let them mature a bit more and maybe they'll get easier to shell, or are they about right now? The pod seemed pretty tough, but the peas were nice raw....kinda like a raw peanut in flavor. I have two 50-60 foot rows, so I hope to get enough to freeze some. I'm planning to cook them about like I have done frozen black-eyes, with what Granny called streaked meat and some chopped onion, salt and pepper, with maybe a couple of dried cayenne peppers for good luck.

Chuck

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Typically when pink eye shells are full purple, it is time to use them for shellies. The shells at that point should be thin and leathery. If the pod is still fleshy they will be more difficult to shell.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 2:49PM
chuck60

Thanks Farmer. Mine are just getting to the full pruple stage so I guess I should let them go a bit longer. I just picked another one a few minutes ago and the pod is still pretty tough.

Chuck

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 7:25PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Farmerdilla is right, as usual. Maturity of Pink Eye Purple Hulls shows clearly in the pod color. They are ready when the pod is totally deep, dark purple.

Enjoy.

Jim

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 1:20PM
chuck60

I picked and shelled the first batch this past weekend. I only got a bit less than a quart of shelled peas, but there's another round ready to pick. How long do these usually produce? The plants look fine and healthy, not like my bush green beans which often start looking puny after the first picking.

We had green beans we needed to cook, so I froze most of the first picking, only saving out a half cup to throw in with the green beans. They were right tasty, though it is hard to separate out their taste from the beans. I figure to cook the next picking right away. I don't have any kind of sheller, but I got pretty good at zipping them open by the time I'd shelled the first batch. Seems like a good thumbnail helps!

Chuck

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 8:56AM
hulonfam

pink eye purple hull peas are so much tastier if picked with a variety of color. you can even pick the smallest ones and use as snaps. if you wait until all hulls are purple they will be drier tasting. I have planted, picked, cooked, and eaten them for 30 years. the sell of them in the garden makes my mouth water.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:23AM
hementia8(8 MS)

I agree with hulonfam
We pick all that are full no matter the color as we do not like to pick the same rows daily
To us the younger ones are more tasty

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 3:17PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Thanks, hulonfam and hementia. I will try them that way. I'm always looking for the tried and true.

Jim

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
My first full beans
I will be harvesting full beans for the first time...
shuffles_gw
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Storage System for Bean Collection
Hello, London Seedy Saturday was yesterday and besides...
LoboGothic
Sponsored Products
Shop Vac Wet and Dry Vacuum with Detachable Blower
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Serena & Lily Sol Rocking Chair
Serena & Lily
Saloom Furniture | LEM Rectangular Extension Dining Table
YLiving.com
Transparentwater Outdoor Ottoman
Grandin Road
Area Rug: Presidential Picks Edenfiled Cayenne 2' 3" x 8'
Home Depot