Tomatoes Wilting

aragon127October 14, 2009

I've got about a dozen tomato plants growing in my basement (finally decided I couldn't go the winter without fresh ones). They seem to be growing good, and there are even blooms, but the bottom branches are wilting and dying off. Oddly, there's still top growth. The peppers seem to be doing okay.

Not sure what the problem is. These are in 5 gallon pots, filled with Al's mix (bark fines, vermiculite, peat moss, CRF). I usually water with 4 gallons twice a week, and add a little fertilizer to the water. The basement's generally about 65F, but much warmer under the light when it's on. I had the light on too long (16hrs by mistake) and have since cut it back to 11hrs. It's a 1000W HPS lights.

The leaves are curling under, then wilting and spreading up the branch. I've posted pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43789576@N00/sets/72157622458163867/detail/

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taz6122(N.W. AR.6b)

Do the pots have drain holes? If so check the bottom leaves for mites. Could also be you're using too much fertilizer. 1/4 strength once a week is ok but if you're using more then that's too much. I use fertilizer as directed or less. Never use more than directed.

Bookmark   October 14, 2009 at 5:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wordwiz

I don't use any fertilizer once the plant starts blooming. Nor do they need a bunch of water. You are giving them over 2 quarts per week. If they were getting one inch of rain per week, that would be about 40 ounces of water (if I've done the math right). But you are giving them about 70 or so. A quart or so a week should be enough.

YMMV,

Mike

Bookmark   November 6, 2009 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
growing tomatoes indoors; what lights to use? help!
I basically want to grow tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants,...
kawaiineko_gardener
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
Seed Starting Lights at night?
In my area (Nova Scotia) I have time of day metering...
youngdb
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™