New to lights - could use some help rooting jade cuttings

americangolden(ZONE 5B)October 1, 2012

Hello,

Yesterday I puchased a grow light from walmart called grow light of america 24" plant grow light fixture. I am trying to root some rootless Jade cuttings that I have, and am hoping this will speed up the process.

This is the first time I have ever used a grow light so I am interested in learning some information about the subject.

1. How close do I keep the Jade cuttings to the fluorescent light?

2. How many hours do I keep the light on?

3. How often do you water the rootless cuttings under the light?

I am just looking for specific information on rooting Jade cuttings under this light, and the care after I see roots have formed. I am hoping someone will be able to help me with this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lenle(4)

Hey AG...
I'm trying to find a suitable light setup for my jades for this winter too, since they'll all be relocated to an area where there really won't be much light at all. I was looking at the same lights you bought, though I decided against them because I thought/felt the lumen output wasn't sufficient to what I know jades to need. Looking at them online again, I'm beginning to think they might not be all that bad (if it puts out 1,093 lumens per bulb). All that concerns me is the color range - 4,200K. If there was some way to get "daylight" bulbs for it, I think it'd be OK for jades (though I'd want at least four).

Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong because, again, I'm looking for a good light setup for a rather small space (a corner with about 2ft clearance along either wall).

Jeni

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 8:06PM
americangolden(ZONE 5B)

Jeni,

I am using one light at the moment, and have them about 3 inches away from the light. The light seems to be doing fine, but I am thinking about adding two more to the rack to have a total of three. I'm seeing how this is working out before I proceed with purchasing two more. So far so good on my end, and I will let you know how it goes over time.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 2:29PM
lenle(4)

Thanks AG, I'd appreciate the heads up! For what it's worth, I think a good indication of sufficient light (aside from compact growth) will be a reddening of the edges. I have one jade under a gooseneck light now (6,500K) and it's getting some nice red tones to the edges/stems.

Jeni

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 9:55PM
More Discussions
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
heat mats and growing plants
Is there a reason must you move plants off of the heat...
dowlinggram
T5 vs T8 and equivalent
Obviously T5s are the better choice for indoor growing,...
gardev
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
Need help with my Petunia and Coleus Seedlings
I am trying to grow as many petunia and coleus seeds...
Cathy Cokley
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™