Over-mature green beans

curlysue11July 30, 2010

I have a lot of over-mature (bush) green beans. They are still green, they have not started to yellow or dry out. Can I shell and freeze the shelled beans? Do I just blanch them and freeze? Thanks in advance! I'm still a relatively new gardener!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
riverfarm(7)

Are they stringless, or have they developed strings? If you want to shell them they'd be better if they ripened to totally dry seeds, unless you want green shell beans. But if they are still tender and free of strings, you can freeze them whole and just make sure to sauté them for a while when you go to cook them. Older beans are great with some onion and a bit of bacon or ham for flavoring. I put them in a pan with a little water and then allow the water to cook off and let the beans caramelize slightly in the oil, butter, or bacon fat.

You don't need to blanch string beans before freezing; you can just pop them into a freezer bag. I use the pint size because it works well as a serving for two people.

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 5:49PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Try shelling a batch and cooking them in water with a little pork fat or olive oil. See how you like them. Most beans make decent, even excellent, shellies at that stage.

Jim

Bookmark   July 30, 2010 at 10:04PM
willyvon

I have neglected Rattlesnake and Kentucky Wonder pole beans past tenderness of pod and with seeds that are approaching or have reached full size but far from hard yet. Can I shell them and cook them sort of as I might spring peas? (obviously cooking technique may need to vary per best flavor)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill's Will:Misc Musings of a Techie

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 12:02PM
willyvon

Here's what I did with the beans I left to dry on the vine a couple of years ago and posted to my blog. the "threshing worked well because the pods were completely dried out..

http://willyvon1-willyswill.blogspot.com/2010/11/farmer-bills-threshing-and-winnowing.html

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
black gandules
Hi, does anyone know where I can find black gandules?...
ily68
How is the harvest going?
Just wondering how everyone's harvest results have...
deanriowa
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™