Metal Halide to HID

feldon(z7 WA)October 20, 2006

Hi, I have a Sun System set up with ballast & light. Right now I have a 400Metal Halide in there. I want to switch to a HID for flowering. Can I simply put in the HID light, or do I have to get some sort of adapter? The system I bout is for 400 Metal Halide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

By HID, do you mean HPS (=High Pressure Sodium)? Both Metal Halide and HPS are considered HID (=High Intensity Discharge).

Some Sunsystem ballasts will safely operate either type of bulb, provided it is the right power, but it would clearly state that it is switchable. A standard metal halide ballast will not light a standard HPS bulb.

If your ballast is not switchable you can buy an HPS conversion bulb which will run in your ballast and produce an HPS spectrum. HPS conversion bulbs typically have some blue light which is not present in a regular HPS bulb and so appear a slightly different colour but the output is very similar to HPS.

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 2:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feldon(z7 WA)

Thanks for the info. Yes I did mean to say HPS. I'm not sure if it is switchable, if not, its encouraging to know that I can buy a conversion bulb. Thanks again.

Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
T5 vs T8 and equivalent
Obviously T5s are the better choice for indoor growing,...
gardev
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
Pepper Leaf Problem
I am new to the forum, but have a question about a...
kswart19
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
Need help Drip watering Basil inside
So i have a little closet grow room setup with lights,...
Riskebiz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™