Metal Halide to HID

feldon(z7 WA)October 20, 2006

Hi, I have a Sun System set up with ballast & light. Right now I have a 400Metal Halide in there. I want to switch to a HID for flowering. Can I simply put in the HID light, or do I have to get some sort of adapter? The system I bout is for 400 Metal Halide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

By HID, do you mean HPS (=High Pressure Sodium)? Both Metal Halide and HPS are considered HID (=High Intensity Discharge).

Some Sunsystem ballasts will safely operate either type of bulb, provided it is the right power, but it would clearly state that it is switchable. A standard metal halide ballast will not light a standard HPS bulb.

If your ballast is not switchable you can buy an HPS conversion bulb which will run in your ballast and produce an HPS spectrum. HPS conversion bulbs typically have some blue light which is not present in a regular HPS bulb and so appear a slightly different colour but the output is very similar to HPS.

    Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 2:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
feldon(z7 WA)

Thanks for the info. Yes I did mean to say HPS. I'm not sure if it is switchable, if not, its encouraging to know that I can buy a conversion bulb. Thanks again.

    Bookmark   October 25, 2006 at 9:33PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Having problems with seedlings this year
I have been starting seeds under lights for about 10...
LED lights daylight 5000k 950 lumens per bulb
I am growing under led lights. 3 bulbs per jiffy peat...
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
Which is better; 1300 lumen LED or 1300 lumen CFL?
I was wondering if there is a difference between LED...
Sponsored Products
CSL Lighting | Compass HID Dual Optic Wall Light
$500.00 | YLighting
Wild Brownhman Wall Art
$429.00 | FRONTGATE
Designers Edge L1701 100-Watt Metal Halide Dusk To Dawn Security Light with 10 i
$87.99 | Hayneedle
Tech Lighting | Om Ceramic Metal Halide T4 T-Trak and Power Jack
$132.00 | YLighting
Glomar Track Lighting 1-Light Black Track Lighting Head HD-TH386
Home Depot
MLAR30LED50 MaxLite LED High Mount Area Light, 30 Watts Gray
Lithonia Lighting Wall Mounted Wall-Mount Outdoor Bronze Metal-Halide Wall Pack
$79.97 | Home Depot
MLFL14LED50-Demo MaxLite LED MaxLED Flood Light, 14 Watts Bronze
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™