Should I get a 600 watt or 1000 watt HID?

rokal(LongIsland/z6b)October 25, 2010

I am running out of room under my current 400 watt MH setup and was looking to get either a 600 watt or 1000 watt setup.

The system will be used to overwinter tropicals and I want to maximize my coverage area. If a 1000 watt system can effectively cover a 10'x12' area, this seems like the best option.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchidsnyc(NYC)

Keep in mind that 600W HIDs only come in high pressure sodium, not metal halide. You can buy MH conversion bulbs for 600W HPS ballasts, but they're less efficient than the real thing and more expensive.

If you don't need higher maximum light levels than you're already getting, another option would be to add another 400W metal halide. To get wider coverage from a single lamp, you'll need to mount the lamp higher than your current one or also get a new reflector designed to maximize coverage area.

Bookmark   October 29, 2010 at 10:27AM
rokal(LongIsland/z6b)

Thanks for the information orchidsnyc. I wasn't aware that I would need to use a conversion bulb.

I currently have a Hydrofarm radiant reflector. I am thinking about using this reflector and getting a 1000 watt pulse start MH ballast. Also, I was looking at light movers. For around $100, it seems like a great way to increase my coverage area.

Bookmark   November 1, 2010 at 7:17PM
jmoore3274

Technology has changed. You can buy digital ballasts now that can run both MH and HPS bulbs. I personally use a 600watt MH sunlight balanced bulb for growing orchids and carnivorous plants.

HPS bulbs do put out more lumens but the PAR value (Photosynthetic Available Radiation) is not as good as a MH thats used for growing the plants. Once flowering change over to a HPS.

Bookmark   February 22, 2013 at 1:01PM
markcogwell

1000 watt will provide you extra give up but only less than the path of the lamp. The flowers should be denser on the plants directly in the path of the light. You probably wonâÂÂt cover more area but the area you do cover will be more light powerful.

Bookmark   March 19, 2013 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
coleus cuttings
Some of my fall coleus cuttings are growing bigger...
maryjozone5
New to Forum - some questions, comments about heating mats
I have been starting flower seeds indoors for years...
snapdrag
More beautiful plumeria blossoms under grow lights
More proof that grow lights work! I planted this plumeria...
arctictropical
LED lights daylight 5000k 950 lumens per bulb
I am growing under led lights. 3 bulbs per jiffy peat...
T S
My indoor garden setup - any improvements?
This is my proposed setup for my indoor garden. I'm...
gardev
Sponsored Products
LBL Sophia Clear Glass Monopoint Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Piattini Pendant by LBL Lighting
$1,676.00 | Lumens
Schonbek | Da Vinci Table Lamp - High
YLighting
Sleek Leatherette Office Chair in Black
| Dot & Bo
Finger Mobile Drum Pendant by Carpyen
$819.84 | Lumens
Naples Clear Chandelier by Elements
$138.00 | Bellacor
George Kovacs Larry Pendant Chandelier
Euro Style Lighting
New Pakistani Super Kazak Knotted By Hand Wool 3'x10' Carmine Oriental Rug H5000
BH Sun Inc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™