Single light

blueridger(z7)October 16, 2006

I know this question must have been asked and answered, but I've looked for over an hour and can't find exactly what I'm after. I have light stands for small seedlings and ceiling fluorescents, but I also want to use a single clamped reflector to put extra light on a pretty tall tropical plant. (I assume the ceiling lights are too far away.) I understand the old incandescent "grow lights" aren't efficient or effective. Should I get one of those screw-in fluorescents instead, and, if so, among the seemingly endless varieties, which one is best? Many look too weak to do much good. Many thanks for any insights.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shrubs_n_bulbs(z8/9 UK)

The screw-in fluorescents (I assume you mean those spiral compact fluorescents?) are fine for lighting small areas but aren't really powerful enough for a tall plant. Up to a foot or maybe two, you could try one of the more powerful bulbs (maybe 42W?) mounted perhaps a foot above the plant with a good reflector so the bottom of the plant receives good light too. Anything taller than that and you might consider a fluorescent tube mounted vertically alongside the plant. Or stand the plant so it is closer to the ceiling?

Bookmark   October 16, 2006 at 4:30PM
More Discussions
1000 watts surrounded by 320 plants! Shoe organizers are back!
Some of you may remember my shoe organizer grows. Im...
MisterK
Lots of seeds - Please help me get started (Zone 6A)
I went a little overboard with a couple of seed orders...
oldbat2be
Seeking advice about current indoor seed starting setup
Hello, I am new to gardening and would like to start...
dotagardener
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
T5 vs T8 and equivalent
Obviously T5s are the better choice for indoor growing,...
gardev
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™