Iris in shade

forrestgloOctober 30, 2007

Can iris' be planted in shady areas? I have a nice area that is in partial shade and was wondering if they would bloom here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rebel44(z7MS)

Most iris need at least 4 hours of direct sun a day. Some of the older ones will bloom almost anywhere. Lee Mincy

Bookmark   October 30, 2007 at 7:32PM
sparxiris

Iris Japonica, tectorum, cristata (all crested irises) will do very well in partial shade, as will the pacific coast species and hybrids. Iris foetedissima will grow in deep dry shade, but is not very interesting in bloom. The variegated I. foetedissima has interesting foliage.
Cheers, Jan in Aus.

Bookmark   November 1, 2007 at 4:25PM
kittyl(8/9 Calif)

You'll get much better bloom if you can plant in nearly full sun.
The most frequent question I get is "why aren't they blooming?", and I ask if they're in partial shade... which often they are. I always suggest moving into more sun.

Bookmark   December 5, 2007 at 10:25PM
anna_beth(zone 5-6)

Iris pallida will bloom very well. Small fragrant lavender-blue flowers and tall upright foliage.

Bookmark   December 12, 2007 at 1:59PM
ofionnachta(z6 WNJ)

I have a lot of shade too--the solution is to plant nice things that will like shade. If you do have any sunny spots, save those for the iris.

Shade-- google "shade perennials" & you will get a good start--but there are astilbe (like moisture), bleeding hearts -- and those come in several varieties & colors, hostas of course, tricyrtis, solomons seal, liriope tolerates shade well--- just as a start -- and you can fill less colorful spots with some shade loving annuals such as impatiens.

Bookmark   February 12, 2008 at 10:56AM
More Discussions
potted Iris
I have potted iris and would like advise on how to...
pembroke
daves10z7annv
LA Irises
Started with 4 Iris Bulbs about 4 yrs. ago - noticed...
George Indel
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™