Roma II bush beans

deanriowa(4b)July 19, 2010

I picked my first Roma II bush beans, they were wonderfully sweet and made a good meal. I plan on saving seeds for next season.

Some beans were yellow and some green, is that normal?

thanks,

Dean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

No Roma II is a green Italian type bush bean. If any are yellow you either have a wax bean mixed in or you are letting the pods get too mature. Green beans do get a shade of yellow in the shelly stage.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 6:22PM
deanriowa(4b)

I probably had some overly matured beans, they tasted good in either color, so Roma II beans seem to be tender even of mnature. I will have to keep an eye on them more closely. I am going out to pick them tonight and if I do not see any yellow beans, then that was most likely the problem.

The Roma II beans have a nice sweet flavor, I will be saving seed and planting them again next season.

thanks,

Dean

Bookmark   July 22, 2010 at 10:23AM
deanriowa(4b)

I picked some more Roma II beans yesterday evening and the old beans I left for seed were yellow and the freshest beans were green, so the yellow ones are from overly mature beans. Even when yellow the Roma II beans were tender and tasted good though. The Roma II beans along with my Cherokee wax have been the highest producers this season. I highly recommend them both.

Dean

Bookmark   July 23, 2010 at 10:51AM
More Discussions
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™