Lily ID (pics)

i_dig_it(z5a - Illinois)July 30, 2008

I "inherited" some lily bulbs a few years ago and I have to confess, I don't know much about them or what kind they are.

Here's a picture of what was usually there, until this year.

Does anyone know what these orange and red lilies might be?

Also see the odd looking stalk near the left side between the orange lilies? It was not there for the first two years, but it suddenly appeared and bloomed into this...

It's a huge white fragrant lily! Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks for any help.

Janet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Janet, you have Asiatic Lilies on your first picture. The orange one is probably 'Loreto'. The white Oriental on your second picture is most likely 'Casablanca'.
The red Asiatic is not distinctive enough to ID, sorry.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 4:43PM
i_dig_it(z5a - Illinois)

Alina thanks for the info. I looked up 'Loreto' and it sure does look like those I have.
Those are done blooming now, so I'll have to wait until next year to get a better picture of the red ones.

So I wonder if the Oriental lily was in with the other lily bulbs I planted and just dormant for the first couple of years? It was quite a surprise when I noticed it coming up with them as I could tell it was a "different" kind of lily.

It's very pretty though and the fragrance is strong. Would it hurt it any to dig it up after it's done blooming and replant it somewhere else? Would fall be the time to do it?

Thanks again,
Janet

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 5:37PM
alina_1

Janet, it is not about the picture. There are too many solid red Asiatics to define which one you have.
The Oriental could be dormant or just too small to bloom. You might not notice a bloomless stem among other Lilies. Fall would be a perfect time to transplant it.

Bookmark   July 30, 2008 at 6:29PM
More Discussions
Is this weed some sort of lily?
No idea what this is, except that it is a weed, and...
jacqueline9CA
Please identity my Lily
I have attached a picture of a Lily type plant that...
Terrispirit
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
Foxtail lily; companions?
Hello! I want to plant foxtail lilies. I know they...
mushibu10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™