Stargazer Lily Question- Transplant and New Bulbs

nittspikeJuly 21, 2005

Hi All,

I planted 3 Stargazer Lily bulbs this past spring and two came up and only one is now in bloom. I didn't fertilized and or put them in great soil. I just put them in a sunny spot b/c I was running out of time in the spring. I wanted them to bloom around beginning of August for my daughter's 3rd birthday (Lilly).

Anyway my question(s) would be.

1. Can I dig up both plants in the fall and recondition the soil and not loose any height for next year?

2. Can I plant some new bulbs this fall and would they bloom apx the same time and at the same height as the ones I have now (ones I have now are maybe 12-13" in height-One did just bloom this morning and is beautiful)

Thanks,

John

Bear, Delaware

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kdjoergensen

some spring planted bulbs may take another season to grow. if you plant bulbs this fall - or move bulbs - they will still grow and flower next summer with little or no effect. It is difficult to time flowering to a specific event because they can bloom several weeks each side due to factors such as sun exposure, temperatures, early warm spring, etc, etc

Bookmark   July 21, 2005 at 4:28PM
mamoo_z5(z5IN)

Your lilies will be bigger next year. Some bulbs which are on the smaller side when planted take an extra year to give full tall growth. Your Stargazers will all bloom together at the same time period once they get established. If you move them in the fall they might be the same size as this year & take one more year to be full size. Planting new bulbs this fall will most likely give you the same size because they too will take the extra year to grow to full size.
You could take the Stargazer out this fall & condition the soil which would be good for the plants in the long run.
The most important thing to remember is to remove the flower heads once they are done flowering & leave the foliage to turn yellow/brown before you remove the dead stems. Leaving the stems to yellow out feeds the bulb for next year & will give you a stronger plant with more flowers the following year. Never remove the foliage while it is still green or you will weaken the bulbs & have small growth & maybe no flowers. Lilies also like to be kept moist.

Bookmark   July 26, 2005 at 1:17AM
susand_2008

i have about 15 stargazer lilies that i need to move about 8 feet. all of these lilies are about to bloom, can i move them without causing any harm?

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 3:17PM
jcinibca_cox_net

I know I have to move mine right now. I just planted them a month ago and they're already three to four feet high.
I'm just going to be extra gentle and transfer them to a pot. We have to have our house tented for termites and I don't want them broken and lost all together.
Best way to save them intact is to thouroughly wet the soil. Then take at least four inches out beyond the stem to get all the roots. Good luck to both of us.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 6:47PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Since that post was from three years ago I assume SusanD moved her lilies long ago.....

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 7:32PM
gmadj45_hotmail_com

A neighbor gave me some bulbs last Fall. I planted them in pots, only one has a very small stalk coming up. I dug up the other two today and the bulb is a bright yellow and has whitish growth coming out of it. Did I plant these upside down? What can I do with them now.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
Lily of the Valley issue
I have an old patch of lily of the valley in front...
scutterbotch
Storing my newly purchased lily bulbs
I just purchased many lily bulbs, mostly oriental....
grammabarb
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
Best/Favorite Co. to get Lily Bulbs?
I would like to add some tall fragrant oriental, chinese...
aunt_lou
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
Sponsored Products
Berlin Rug by Mat-The-Basics
$343.00 | Lumens
New Real Pakistani Chobi Peshawar 15' Square Hand Knotted Blue Wool Rug H3778
BH Sun Inc
Bath Authority DreamLine Butterfly Bi-Fold Frameless Shower Door (34"-36")
Modern Bathroom
Home Decorators Area Rug: Rochelle Red 6' x 9'
Home Depot
Safavieh Handmade Soho Waves Grey New Zealand Wool Rug
Overstock.com
Lydia Mille Fiori Bunny Figurine - MULTI COLORS
$2,100.00 | Horchow
Satco 35W T4 JD Bayonet Halogen Bulb - DC Bay, 120V
LBC Lighting
Water Lily Copper Patio Torch with Spiral Wall Bracket - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for: