Question about using older beans

catherinet(5 IN)July 23, 2013

I always use left-over beans if I have them. I grow pole beans (blue lake and Kentucky blue). Last year I hardly got any, probably because of a drought. This year I'm getting some, but not many.
My question is.....if an older bean grows good leaves.........will its oldness affect how well it blossoms? The one plant looks great leaf-wise, but hardly has any blossoms. Maybe the season is slow this year.
Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tormato

I've never had older beans affect how well it blossoms. Germination rates are the biggest issue. And this year, doing a large growout of older seed, I've had many headless plants, which have taken longer to start vining, if they do vine at all.

Constant 90+ degree temps means a slow year, here.

Gary

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 1:54PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks Gary.
What do you mean by headless plants? How did they get headless?

Last year we had a drought, but I watered every other day. But....the high temps really wrecked my beans. I think I got just a couple handfulls out of a bunch of vines. The cucs and the tomatoes did great though.
This year, my pole kentucky blue beans started producing a couple weeks ago. But my Blue lake barely have any blossoms. I hope they're just late.
I think another mistake I made was over-planting. I'm always afraid some won't sprout.......then they all do, and I don't have the heart to thin them. But I think it robs them to have too many. Also, some of them didn't vine well and are creating a shelter at the bottom of the trellises for mice. :(
Next year, I'll try to be strong, and not over-plant. :)

Thanks again.

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 5:58PM
tormato

Headless as in no leader, they just come up with only the cots showing. Where the vine would start is sort of a small dead area. After a week, or so, there may be growth at the base of the cot stem, and that will turn into a vine. If not, the plant dies.

Gary

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 1:13PM
catherinet(5 IN)

So you think they were headless because of their age?

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 8:42AM
tormato

Mostly due to age.

Many of my beans are experimental selections of natural crosses. These will rarely produce headless plants using last years saved seed. The 4-5 year old seed produces headless plants much more often.

Gary

Bookmark   July 30, 2013 at 3:47PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks Gary.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™