iris question

proudgm_03(6 MO)October 12, 2009

I just received some iris fans. I think it is too late to put them in the ground now as we are expecting frost at the end of the week. Should I put them in pots and keep them in the house? What should I do with them?

Thanks,

Becky

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

Iris are really resilient, I would go ahead & plant them. Unlikely to bloom in the spring, but they should be ok. I've told this story before, but one summer I divided my iris & had a family crisis, one after another. Those iris got left on a glass top table in hot full sun the rest of the summer, & spent the winter there too. The following year, almost all of them were showing green growth. I planted them that spring & the following spring they bloomed again. If you have a place to put them that is a bit protected from the weather, I'd plant them there. I planted some in November once, not recommended, but they survived.

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 4:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kittyl(8/9 Calif)

Iris tolerate light frost pretty well. However, planting late in the fall means they probably won't have much time to be growing roots before heavy freezing, and that will discourage spring bloom. If you have issues of plants heaving out of the ground from freezing in the winter, you might want to plant in pots and keep them somewhat protected until you can get them into the ground in the early spring.

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 7:33PM
More Discussions
Dividing irises
How often are irises supposed to be divided? I moved...
Carla1
Need help with wire worms in my new iris beds
I have hundreds of new tall bearded irises that I planted...
kathemm
Iris rhizome buying experience and feedback.
I would like to relate an iris rhizome buying experience...
kathemm
Transplant
Had LA Irises clumping and dug 'em up to replant, but...
George Indel
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Sponsored Products
Chicago Bears Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Nelson | Ball - Criss Cross Lamp
$299.00 | YLighting
Island 2-door Buffet
Overstock.com
LEM Piston Stool - Leather Seat
Design Within Reach
Nelson | George Nelson Lotus Table Lamp - Ball
YLiving.com