New Raised Bed

rebel215October 11, 2007

Hi all,

I have some irises to plant and need some help. I want to plant them in a raised bed (In an effort to try to keep out wire grass) and need to know what type of soil/amendments/etc. to use. I've done some lasagna beds before, but don't know what's appropriate for irises. (compost, peat moss, grass, leaves) the bed won't be tall, just in a frame, and the ground is very hard now due to no rain. Any advice and suggestions would be welcome. The soil here is mostly red clay (and really hard right now).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Compost!

Since you're ready to plant I wouldn't add much 'raw' compost.

And definately steer clear of peat.

Sprinkle some bonemeal or bulb food before you dig.

Bookmark   October 12, 2007 at 3:27AM
earthworm(6 Pennsylvania)

How high should the raised bed be to avoid the grass ?
I have 100 bricks sitting around..
Where the real bed is, I have no problem with grass.My problem is that I did not plan well and now have to move some Iris and Hyacinth...and something else ?
What is wire grass, anyway?

Bookmark   October 20, 2007 at 12:01PM
sparxiris

I used to grow irises in an area that had very little, and very impoverished soil. I made my raised beds by putting down a thick layer of lucerne hay (alfalfa to you?) and then covering it with a layer of about 6" of good quality soil, laced with super phosphate.
By the time the iris roots reached the lucerne it would have broken down and provided good nutrition. I found my irises did very well in those beds. The beds tend to compact down after a while, but the worm take the broken down hay into the soil layer underneath, doing the hard work for you.
You could include compost etc on top of the hay layer, and underneath the soil, but you definitely need a good depth of soil for the irises.
Cheers, Jan in Australia.

Bookmark   October 20, 2007 at 9:17PM
More Discussions
Bottle Rocket
Pretty Tall Bearded from last years bloom, Crossed...
criris_z8
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™