Kentuck Wonder and Sunflowers

lannegreenelagJuly 12, 2008

I read in a compatability table that pole beans, Kentucky Wonder this year, are not compatible with sunflowers. Is this true and if so what are the effects? I must confess my sunflowers (not sure what kind, but for edible seed)are close enough to my beans that several vines have climed them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

Sunflowers are heavy feeders, which tend to out compete beans. When water or nutrients are scarce, the sunflower is going to get whatever is available. They are very competitive.

Bookmark   July 12, 2008 at 9:06PM
deanriowa(4b)

"Sunflowers are heavy feeders, which tend to out compete beans."

Can I assume then, if a gardener keep the sunflowers and beans, watered and fertilized, they could grow good together?

thanks,
Dean

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 12:59AM
farmerdilla

Good is relative , Dean. If you have rich soil with plenty of water, yes they will grow together. Be warned , tho, that sunflowers don't have a strong base. Expect the beans to pull them down in the first thunderstorm.

Bookmark   July 13, 2008 at 8:05AM
lannegreenelag

That makes sense. I guess the compost has kept them both fairly happy, lord known we have had plenty of rain. I'll separate them a bit more in the future. I agree I'd not count on the flowers as the beans main support but a few tendrills haven't caused any problem. The main reason the to crops ended out near each other is because of both of their hights (these sunflowers are ~6') and my attempt to max production while not shading other crops.

Bookmark   July 14, 2008 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
A roll call, who is still here and staying after the "upgrade"?
Harry are you still here? I hope so! You have always...
wertach zone 7-B SC
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™