Limas dropping flowers

wild_foragerJuly 6, 2010

My Big Mama limas look pretty good, save a bit of leaf damage here and there from disease and insect bites (nothing serious or covering the entire plant). Unfortunetely they keep dropping their flowers. I think I have one bean so far. The temps are hot now, but the past few days they weren't that bad and it was still dropping. They are planting in pots, so maybe it's the soil temp? They haven't shown any sign of heat stress though. Any ideas? They don't need a pollinator right (cause the bees seem to leave them alone in favor of my green beans, which are doing great)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linda_schreiber(z5/6 MI)

A puzzlement.... Weather-wise, they should be doing ok.

When the flowers drop, or are near dropping, do they look dry/crispy or limp/soggy?

You said they are planted in pots. In native soil, or in commercial potting soil? And if commercial, what kind?

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 8:25PM
wild_forager

I can't remember the brand, but it's a potting mix. The flowers do look dry, but only in the way that they dry up normally once pollinated. In other words, they look just like a pollinated bean, then they fall off shortly after. I'm wondering if the pollen is dying from the heat, even though it seems like it shouldn't be.

Also, they are sharing the pot with a tomato plant (it's a big pot though). But the beans don't look stressed in any way so I don't think the tomato is to blame.

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 10:07AM
fusion_power

Big Mama limas are heat sensitive. They will drop flowers until the temperature drops into the 70's.

DarJones - who has a 120 ft long row of them this year and they have made very few beans.

Bookmark   July 11, 2010 at 5:10PM
wild_forager

Oh no! I bought Big Mamas because I read that limas loved the heat and I wanted to try something with big delicious beans. I guess that was a mistake. I wish they'd display that kind of information with the product. Thanks.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 6:21PM
chaman(z7MD)

Feeding Phosphate rich fertilizer and planty of water may help to solve your problem.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Trail of Tears pole bean
Ordered some, the descriptions say that they get stringy...
lucillle
seed germinate
Got some blackened pea seed in the bulk section a the...
dons916
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Margaret Best Greasy Cut Short
These took 66 days to the first picking. I planted...
shuffles_gw
Sponsored Products
Woodland Outdoor Birdbath
Lamps Plus
Princess & Frog Toy Chest
Classic Hostess
Possini Euro Onida 17 3/4" Wide Crystal Glass Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Owl Glass Figure Vase
$34.99 | Dot & Bo
39" Trendy Gray Granite Stone Bathroom Trough Sink - FIGARO
Living'ROC