Stargazer, Aubade and Black Beauty Today

aliska12000(Z5)July 20, 2008

Not the most exotic and can't wait until my Color Parades bloom.

I did try to adjust the color on Black Beauty (3rd shot) because the camera didn't capture what I *thought* my eye was seeing (darker purplish burgundy), but maybe I should have left it alone. And there's always monitor calibration which can throw color off on either end.

Black Beauty faces downward, so I had to get down on the ground to capture what I could of that.

Aubade I wish had a little darker yellow streak down the center and a little wider but not as wide and dark as some I've seen, but this is what I got, so I'm keeping it :-). Now that I'm used to it, maybe I like the delicacy of it even better.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kprp(6)

Beautiful!

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 7:07PM
aliska12000(Z5)

kprp, thank you!

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 8:31PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Gorgeous!

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 6:59PM
aliska12000(Z5)

Thank you buyorsell. Flies notwithstanding, mainly a nuisance when sun is out, they are still beautiful, but will start to fade shortly, some SG's have already darkened. At least I get to enjoy them for a week or more.

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 12:22PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

It is too bad that lilies don't bloom longer or rebloom.

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 1:39PM
alina_1

Great pictures, thanks for posting them! I especially like your pic of 'Black Beauty'. You managed to capture that fantastic silky sheen of its petals. Good job!
I had a single bloom on my BB for the first time this year. What a beauty indeed!

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 4:06PM
aliska12000(Z5)

alina, thanks, and I think the only reason is I got more blooms is because I started with 3 larger bulbs in soil I just amended last fall, but those other two are in soil I didn't amend at all because I didn't know about it then. Like buyorsell said about lasting, the BB's don't last very long either, but if they fill out more with lots more buds, they might.

Still, I think I have enough of those kind of the oriental types. I think their blooms must take a lot of energy from the bulb and would burn out if they bloomed longer or rebloomed maybe.

I did one foliar watering with diluted kelp earlier, per directions, and not when the sun was bright or hot, may give them one more app after the blooms fade. Someone last year told me about it and swears by it.

At some point I may have to worry about rabbits. So far so good, think the owls cleared them out the last couple of years. And for good measure, I need to give the new sprouts a dose of Liquid Fence if I can work it in. They're certainly easy to grow here, but at some point may get something I have to worry about and see mentioned here.

These, daylilies, and other perennials are certainly more care free compared to roses. Some of the roses do rebloom right along, but only a couple continuously.

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Extra large lily bulb
My daughter in Oregon recently dug a large Silk Road....
flowergirl70ks
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
new growth on oriental lily
I received an oriental lily for my anniversary in december....
angelaivy
"boarder lillies"
I am looking for some interesting perennial choices...
posierosie_zone7a__
Sponsored Products
Oxygen Lighting | Indu Outdoor Wall Sconce
$238.00 | YLighting
Dayton Garnet Red Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
Fulton Keepsake Boxes - Set of 3
$89.99 | Dot & Bo
Neon 62230 Wall Sconce by Access Lighting
| Lumens
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Safavieh Rugs Chelsea Black / Green 2 ft. 6 in. x 12
Home Depot