Zipper peas in zone 7?

dma6(7)July 8, 2007

I usually just garden until the fall but I would like to extend it to all year. I was wondering if anyone knows how far into a zone 7 winter you can grow zipper peas? I'm working on a coldframe for some of my greens. Could I grow peas under some sort of cover? Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

I would think you have plenty of time between now and your first frost to grow zipper peas...just find out what your first predicted frost usually is and count back from there...but with some cover you ought to get through the first few cold snaps...

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 7:28PM
farmerdilla

Southern peas and Zipper is a cream pea like hot weather. Winter is out except for a heated greenhouse. Planted now, you may get a crop before frost, depending on where you are in Zone 7. They are not very vigorous as the daylenght decreases and the temperatures drop. If you want to push into late fall, an English pea would be preferred. They like cold up to a hard freeze.

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 9:02PM
dma6(7)

Thanks so much for all the information. I'll get my zipper peas in tomorrow. I'll also start looking into English peas. I love this place!

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 1:44AM
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

Another bean you might want to try is a fava bean...not really the garden variety bean that we know but still qualifies. I live in zone 7 too...yes I know it says 8 but that was awhile back....Our winters are pretty mild so I am going to try the fava for winter gardening....

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 8:37AM
More Discussions
Bush hyacinth bean
One of the joys of garden forums is being able to trade...
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™