'Purple King' - desease? Environmental problem?

alina_1July 13, 2007

My 'Purple King' I bought from B&D just opened its first bloom. The flower is deformed and mottled. I hope that is not a virus because the foliage is nice and green. Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chemguynj(z6 NJ)

Hi,
This could be due to a virus, but also could be due to nutrition. If you're attached to the plant, quarantine it away from the other lilies and perhaps a differnet spot may do the trick. If it's the same next year, destroy the bulb before the virus spreads through insects. B&D will probably give you a credit if you send them that pic. Purple King is one of my favorites in the garden. Good luck! Did you plant the bulb this year? Sometimes it takes a winter in a new spot to become established.

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 4:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

I just received a reply from Bob (B&D). This is what he answered:

I have had close to a dozen other people report deformed flowers this year from your area. New Jersey seems to be the worst with 5 I think, but MD, lower NY, DE, and parts of Virginia are all experiencing the same thing and all with different lilies. This indicates an environmental cause. You had a very odd spring this year and I think with wide temp changes the rains, etc it affected the development of some buds.

I feel so much better now! The color of this Lily is so unusual, it is going to be a star in my garden!

Bookmark   July 15, 2007 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
Red Lily Leaf Beetle Sited
11:15 am in Malden, Ma ( just outside Boston) Came...
MichaelB_MAz6
lily virus
Hello all - Here is a picture taken this summer of...
jebfarm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™