French DEBAPTIZE me Battle

labrea_gwFebruary 20, 2012

This is a hoot & a half. An elderly gentleman wishes to have his baptism stricken from Church Records.

It's not a gay issue it's not a tax cut it's not about Frothey or Mittens or Mooselini (thanks Maddie)

I find it a hoot & a half.

Almost as good as the Catholic Church in Ireland protecting their records from Mormons who might want to re-baptize the dead.

Not like there any Spiritual Clorox or Gain out there to do the trick!

"They sent me a copy of my records, and in the margins next to my name, they wrote that I had chosen to leave the church," he says.

That was in the year 2000. A decade later, LeBouvier wanted to go further. In between were the pedophile scandals and the pope preaching against condoms in AIDS-racked Africa, a position that LeBouvier calls "criminal." Again, he asked the church to strike him from baptismal records. When the priest told him it wasn't possible, he took the church to court.

Last October, a judge in Normandy ruled in his favor. The diocese has since appealed, and the case is pending.

"One can't be de-baptized," says Rev. Robert Kaslyn, dean of the School of Canon Law at the Catholic University of America.

Kaslyn says baptism changes one permanently before the church and God.

"One could refuse the grace offered by God, the grace offered by the sacrament, refuse to participate," he says, "but we would believe the individual has still been marked for God through the sacrament, and that individual at any point could return to the church."

Here is a link that might be useful: NPR

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tobr24u(z6 RI)

Well, maybe for a slight fee...

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 6:35AM
jodik_gw

That's what I was thinking, Tobr... you'd be surprised what the church will do for a "donation"...

On the other hand, if you don't believe in the dogma, words once spoken over you at infancy no longer mean very much, do they?

Can't a person just chant "I break with thee" 3 times, and it's done, or something like that?

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 7:45AM
labrea_gw

I fear there is a mystery in his reasoning for even excommunicated he's still in concept marked. He is trying to force a conceptual change?

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 7:53AM
woodnymph2_gw

I don't understand why the church did not just excommunicate him and be done with it. He'd then have to have an Exorcism, possibly....

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 9:54AM
duluthinbloomz4

I see a possibility here - marriages are annulled, priests are laicized.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 10:05AM
labrea_gw

If your excommunicated your merely in sin & seperated from the body of Christ but still baptized marked as contestant #1,479,009,342 on Stair Way To Heaven (void where offended by law)

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 11:06PM
jerzeegirl(9)

Doesn't baptism wipe away original sin? If that is the case, then I don't see how the church can put that toothpaste back in the tube.

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 7:03AM
More Discussions
Indecent Exposure
Rep. David Moore on Tuesday introduced House Bill 365...
labrea_gw
Signature salute to Leonard Nimoy
Dead at 83; cause given as end stage COPD. Though not...
duluthinbloomz4
Dinosaurs are bad!
This is hard to believe! Ummmm...anyone have an idea...
asleep_in_the_garden
A Court decision gutting ACA could be a lot worse than you think
A Court decision gutting ACA could be a lot worse than...
momj47
Pigs Fly . . . Or Try to Fly
California newspapers are proudly announcing that the...
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™