Replanting Lilies

raimisx9July 29, 2014

Hello. I am new to this. ;) I need to replant my lilies and they are still green and finished blooming only days ago. I need to replant them, because I am completely changing my garden. I want to ask you guys, how to replant them at this stage? Shoud I cut stem and plant bulbs immediately somewhere or I can store it till fall? Thanks in advance

This post was edited by Raimisx9 on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 19:07

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

Ideally you should let the foliage die back naturally, let the bulbs go dormant, and then lift and replant. Your best bet would be to try to unearth them without too much disturbace, keeping the rootball intact, and store them in pots until fall. Then when the foliage has died and they are dormant you can replant them. The bulbs need the foliage to remain in place to replace their stores of energy for next year's growth before they go dormant. Do not cut the stems back now, you will surely hurt them. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 4:01AM
gardengal48

Lilies do not go dormant like other bulbs. Once lifted, the bulbs should be replanted as soon as possible. You can carefully dig out the bulbs, stem and all, and replant immediately in the new location. Leave the entire stem present until all the foliage dies back and then you can cut off. I always leave a few inches remaining just to mark where the lilies are for future reference (and to prevent their being trod on when working or adding plantings later).

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 3:32PM
indica_(z5)

a friend gave me some lilies this year she dug right out of the ground in mid-bloom. she told me "i have done this for years this way so i know what colors they are" they went in the ground some had no bulbs! but the flowers continued to bloom. approaching fall now and they appear as if nothing ever disturbed them. dying back just like the others :)

Bookmark   September 6, 2014 at 12:03PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

I have also moved them before the stem dies back. I leave the stem in place and replant immediately. I have also mailed them by only cutting the stem short enough to fit into a long box, wrapping bumbling damp paper towels and saran wrap which must be removed as soon as possible and planted.

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 7:52PM
jaceysgranny(7aAR)

I have also moved them before the stem dies back. I leave the stem in place and replant immediately. I have also mailed them by only cutting the stem short enough to fit into a long box, wrapping bulb in damp paper towels and saran wrap which must be removed as soon as possible and planted.

Bookmark   October 2, 2014 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Toad Lily
In five years, this is the first flower my toad lily...
TNY78
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
Take that voles/mice !
My lilies were looking beautiful & increasing for...
pandora
Sponsored Products
All Things Cedar Multi-Position Chaise Lounge - Java Teak - TL78
$558.99 | Hayneedle
Isis Table Lamp
Lightology
Voluspa Mokara Three-Wick Tin Candle
$19.50 | FRONTGATE
Starfish Ceramic Vase
$14.99 | zulily
Hand-tufted Lily Pad Floral Wool Area Rug (6' x 9')
Overstock.com
Dainty Red Wallpaper R1130, sample
Walls Republic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™