mounding/side dressing peas?

vmarcos68(8A)July 13, 2007

My peas germinated well due to using innoculant this year I believe. They were reaching forward to the sun and would not climb the supports I provided. I wonder if the supports hav to be in front of the vines. I am going to hang them ove a wire I strung up as my plan B, although they do crack at the stems easily when moved.

My main question is that the stems at the bases appear thin. Im still wondering if mounding up or side dressing snap peas is standard procedure. Are peas heavy feeders? If I use organic alfalfa tea, how often?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rodger(8SC)

I assume your talking field peas. Regardless peas are not heavey feeders but if giving lots of nutrients and well tilled soil and moisture they will cover an area in vines. I find peas very hard to train up a trellis or any thing verticle. The seem to prefer to sprawl over the ground and if by chance a vine may go up. There is exceptions, Diawa or Botswana black eye climbed very easily up fiberglass poles for me. I would leave them be and let them sprawl. No need to add any additional nutrients the inoculant will help the peas produce their own nitrogen. As far as mounding up the soil I think that is a good idea. I typically hoe the peas once to remove weeds and pull soil up around the base after that the peas can choke out any weeds that may sprout. Rodger

Bookmark   July 14, 2007 at 5:37PM
More Discussions
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Interesting threads...
Searching for past posts isn't that easy, at least...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™