Do I need to fertilize my Blue Lake Pole Beans?

dirt2dirtJuly 14, 2008

Hi..

This is my first year growing pole beans here in WA. I have about 7 plants that are 6 feet high and there's only one flower. Some of the leaves on the bottom near the ground are turning yellow. Is this normal? Are they late? My snap peas are producing just fine and I planted them at the same time (across the yard from each other.) The beans are in the sun for about 7 hours. Other than that, the vine and all the leaves (except the yellow ones) look good. What should I be feeding them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

Beans need little if any feeding. Feeding will not make them bloom. Depending on the variety, pole beans can take a long time to flower. But when they do, pods follow very quickly. I would not be discouraged yet. If the vines are healthy, you can expect a good crop.

Jim

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 11:43PM
dirt2dirt

Thanks jimster! I'll keep my eye on them and see what happens.

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 10:24PM
jwr6404(8B Wa)

I have several hundred pods on my Insuk's Wang Kong Runner beans. I fertilize monthly using Miracle Gro Tomato & vegetable fertilizer at 20% of the recommended strength, kind of like an appetizer.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 11:12AM
tcstoehr

Once a month I work in a side dressing of an organic fertilizer mix of cottonsead meal, limes, and bone meal. I don't know if I need to do it or not, but the yield of beans has been tremendous.

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 12:44PM
jimster(z7a MA)

Rereading my post above, I see that I said, "Feeding will not make them bloom." To be more accurate, I should have said that feeding will not make them bloom before they are ready to bloom. Whether feeding produces more bloom once they start blooming, and consequently more pod production, is something I don't know. I'm willing to give it a try.

Jim

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 1:45PM
naturaljo

I do not fertilize mine and they do great. I grow both pole beans and bush variety. To see some recent photos of some of my green bean plants and how I like to prepare them go to: http://indianagardening.blogspot.com/2008/07/this-week-in-garden.html
Happy Gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Indiana Backyard Gardening

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 1:59PM
huachuma

I've given up on Blue Lake pole beans here in the Sacramento area. I always get luxuriant growth to 6'-7' feet tall but very few flowers or beans; literally less than a meal's worth for the whole season. Could be the heat or possibly I need to try another variety...

My bush beans on the other hand, produce so heavily that I need to freeze some and give others away. And it doesn't seem to matter what variety. This year we're growing a yellow wax and a french cut green bean. I just picked another gallon ziplock bag full this morning before coming to work...

Mike

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 6:48PM
anuheaikauatuahine_gmail_com

Because we live on a very steep slope, we put our pole beans in an old watering trough out on the deck. They really do quite well there, though not as well as if they were in the ground. I wonder if I need to feed them because the foliage is not the deep dark green that I like... should I feed them just because they're not in the ground?

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
Canning crowder peas VS Freezing, my take on the subject
Last year I decided to can some of my Hercules crowder...
wertach zone 7-B SC
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Genetics of Phaseolus lunatus
I really enjoy some of the colorful pole limas, but...
theodosiaunderwood
Purple king beans
Hi I've grown runner beans before and found they do...
chloe456
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™