Controlling Lily Beetles

CathySkiGirlJuly 17, 2011

I have lily beetles for the first time this year in Orange, CT. I have a formal bed of lilies on my patio which have been living there for ten+ years. They were being ruined by the lily beetles. I decided after reading the bad news online, that I would plant Cleomes to replace the lilies in the bed. I did not remove the lilies, just interplanted them. Other lilies planted elsewhere continued to be destroyed by the beetles even though I hand pick them, but surprise! the ones in the patio bed are, after some initial damage, beetle free and nice and green. Could the Cleomes be protecting the lilies? I read that someone thought their turtle heads interplanted with lilies were controlling the beetles, but that is not the case where I have them planted together. The cleomes and the lilies are blooming together now and the cleomes will continue all summer, it is very pretty.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wepeeler(5)

I might have to try that. I have seen lily beetles in my garden but they seem to leave the lillies alone and attack my roses for some strange reason. I have been using Ortho's Flower, fruit and veggie insect killer and have had no issues with insect damage so far this year. Bristol, CT, by the way :)

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
Did I kill my lily bulbs?
This fall my husband had to dig up our lily bulbs to...
grandma_gardener_02
lily virus
Hello all - Here is a picture taken this summer of...
jebfarm
Where to plant six foot lilies?
I didn't realize they would get this tall. Now, I...
sibur50
Is this a Lily, or what is it?
I planted this as a bulb over 5 years ago, basically...
jacqueline9CA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™