Floppy Siberians - or Japanese? - need a hair cut!

rigelcaj(z5 VT)November 13, 2013

Hi,
I don't know much about iris, but a friend was cleaning out his garden and I have plenty of space, so adopted a bunch of iris - either Siberian or Japanese - to spare them from the compost pile. That was a couple of years ago, and marked the beginning of my cottage-y garden's annual blue period. They bloom well and are beautiful.

However, they're a little - ahem - exhuberant in the foliage department. Like 2'6" long leaves which flop all over. I was really tempted last summer to give them haircuts, so that at least the leaves would have a chance at being vertical, but chickened out. I'll wait til they're brown to buzz them this fall.

Next season, though, would it be ok to give them a trim? They're a mess all flopped over, and space hogs. I think I could cut the leaves in half and they'd have a shot at standing up and having some manners. Otherwise, maybe a ring like I use for my peonies?
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Japanese irises come with fountain foliage or upright foliage, and you may have a fountain shaped variety. Do you have a photo?
Renee

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Dutch Iris
Can Dutch Iris be planted in the Spring ? or are they...
maximus2015
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Help identifying two irises.
I took these photos in Siena, Italy and I would like...
bill_ri_z6b
Coral Point - 2nd iris open
Our record breaking heat 4 days ago must have pushed...
irisgal_z9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™