snakes

gardenall(8)July 12, 2010

I have made two trellis to grow my greenbeans on.I have a soaker hose on each of them.I water regular and I guess with it being real hot and dry it is attracting at least one snake that I saw but couldnt kill. My boys love helping DAD in garden.I started not letting them go unless I am with them. (HOW CAN YOU PREVENT SNAKES) BY THE WAY IT WAS POISONOUS!!!! THANKS

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phantom_white(6)

If there's a snake there's usually snake food close by (rats, mice, ect). Find a way to get rid of the rodents and the snake should leave. It may have just been passing through, as was the case with a large black snake I had under the house at one point. It was running from my uncle who was on a lawn mower and hid under the house for a couple hours until he was gone. Haven't seen it since.

Bookmark   July 13, 2010 at 4:34PM
macmex

Where do you live? In some parts of the country, like where I live, it's impossible to be sure that there aren't any snakes in the garden. Instead I've gotten real good with a hoe ;)

I leave the non venomous ones alone; and I find a lot of those. But copperheads cannot be left alone. I've killed two or three this year.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 6:43AM
gardenall(8)

I live in Mississippi and there are a lot of snakes in our area also ,but I was hopeing I could just keep the area as clean as possible and not have snakes.

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 5:58PM
macmex

Well, I'm sure you can make it less inviting for them. But if you mulch, they will be attracted to the good hiding places. Keeping a clean garden by careful weeding and removal of debris would help some.

George

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 6:21AM
wayne_mo(MO)

There is no way to snakeproof any outdoor area but removing their prey items (rodents) and their habitat (debris and weeds) will reduce their numbers. What kind of snake was it? Copperhead? Rattlesnake?

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 4:43PM
gardenall(8)

Water Moccasin.... I guess with the lack of water we had been getting the snake was looking for water and a cool place. WE got a rain yesterday. I have been looking under every zuc, bean ,pepper, or any other plant and have not seen it again, so I hope it was passing through(I am still not letting my boys go to the garden without me ............(HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF PUTTING MOTH BALLS OR SOMETING OUT TO PREVENT THEM THANKS

Bookmark   July 18, 2010 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
Gialet della Val Belluna Bean
Has anyone grown this, or know anything about it? I...
rosieo
if you don't like getting emails every time someone replies...
Click on "Your Houzz", Edit Profile, Advanced...
fusion_power
Jeminez
I just received some Jeminez seeds from Sand Hill....
shuffles_gw
where to find Hilda/Helda romano pole beans?
Two yeas ago health problems interfered with getting...
matthias_lang
Black spots on my string beans
For the past 3 years my beans will look beautiful and...
smokey28777
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™