Bush beans in Pacific NW

plantslayer(8)July 18, 2009

I planted out pole beans here in Seattle around early-mid May, and am just now seeing blossoms set tiny pods. I am very happy with the plants (GW member Luong sent me the seeds last winter!), and I am sure a good crop is on the way.

Now I am wondering now whether I can try to get two crops next year, by growing bush beans before pole beans. Does anyone has a lot of experience growing bush beans in the Pacific Northwest? In particular, how soon can I get away with planting them, assuming I use clear plastic or black plastic mulch to warm the soil up?

Thanks for the advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenknight

Sure, getting an early crop with bush beans is great. Just remember, you have to bend down to pick them - don't plant more than your back can survive picking! I grow them in wide beds, planting 3 rows 18 inches apart, which grows together into a solid mass. You can get a lot of beans in a little space that way. I like "Venture" blue lake type for earliness, quality, and heavy yields.

Trying to plant earlier than you did with the pole beans this year is a bit of a gamble. Purple podded beans tend to be more cold-tolerant, you might try them for an extra-early crop. "Royalty Purple Pod" is good, but they get strings if you don't pick them real young; I like "Purple Queen", which is stringless but not as widely available (Ed Hume used to carry them, I haven't checked lately).

Bookmark   July 21, 2009 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Marvel of Venice
I'd like to try a couple of plants of the yellow pole...
barbge
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Brown bunch beans---info....please.
My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best...
utdeedee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™