Moving w. Iris aka my babies

janinecollette(6 NJ)November 16, 2008

HI All! I live in NJ zone 6 and will be moving to a new house in December. Needless to say, my iris will be coming with me! Do you think it's alright to dig them up and replant them in December? I'm planning on taking them out, potting them up and planting them within a week of digging them. THey should make it right? My only concern is that it's December already. Any help is appreciated! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marvine(z7/8 GA)

Being as you are putting them in pots, I guess that means you have left the soil ball on - if so, I would certainly go ahead and plant them. They should do fine. Marvin E.

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 12:52PM
janinecollette(6 NJ)

Thanks so much Marvin! :)

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 5:37PM
mike_g_(Zone 5b OH)

Guessing you still will be in NJ I would leave them in pots till the ground thaws in the spring. They would be less likely to have a freeze / thaw problem.

Mike G

Bookmark   November 16, 2008 at 7:27PM
janinecollette(6 NJ)

HI THERE! Marvin, I just wanted to let you know I replanted my iris in December of last year after the move and I am happy to tell you I have tons of new growth!! Looks like they made it! They prob won't bloom this year, however, I'm happy they are still alive! :)

Also, I didn't get the chance to plant ALL of them, so I left about 10 huge clumps in large totes in the garage(uncovered of course) and would you believe they shot up new growth as well? Probably because they had most of the dirt still attached. I just grew them in the garden yesterday, so we will see how they do! :)

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 12:13PM
marvine(z7/8 GA)

I'm so glad for that good report. Iris just refuse to die from neglect, so it seems. A lady gave me a box of those old "cemetary" iris about 4 years ago and I never got around to planting them. They are still in that cardboard box sitting under a fig bush, and they are growing. Also, there are a lot of them growing "over the fence" where I just threw them to get rid of them. That's why I love iris.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 7:35PM
iris_garfield

I don't think you can kill an iris intentionally. I moved in October a few years ago. Dug, cleaned, boxed and labeled my iris for planting in the new yard. Well by the time I had gotten any beds ready for them they had been in my dad's garage for over a year. I unboxed these dried up things and decided all that could happed is they would not grow, but might as well try. GOT BLOOMS THE NEXT SPRING.

Trying it again this year, got carried away last spring ordering iris, and a box got buried on my front porch, and I just found it. OOOPS. Keeping my fingers crossed for signs of life.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Anyone know how to reach Zebra Gardens?
Hello! I found Zebra Gardens and their breathtaking...
redwolfdoc_z5
First Pseudata
This is the first pseudata (I. pseudacorus X I. ensata)...
eroctuse2
Iris douglasiana
I'm looking for sources for this iris that will ship....
herbal
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™