Digging Stella D'Oro daylilies

graywings123July 13, 2013

I walked down my favorite street last week to find that some 30 linear feet of blooming Stellas had been mowed down. I was heartsick - they made me smile just walking by.

Obviously these are unwanted lilies. If I dig up a clump and transplant them immediately, will they live to sprout next year? How deep do I have to dig? Could I take a long, sharp knife and cut, say, half a clump to take away?

FYI: They are not on private land.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

Yes, they'd be fine. I don't think anyone has ever managed to kill a Stella d'Oro. They're really a work horse plant. I'd opt for a sharp spade since you will have to dig down (at least 6 inches) and under a bit. I'm just not sure a sharp knife would slice through the clumps so a piece could be lifted, but a pruning saw would work.

Stellas grow so quickly, in a couple of seasons you'd have your own good sized clump to divide. I have to divide mine every two years - they get the size of a bushel basket.

As to whether or not these mown down plants are for the taking, I can't say - perhaps the block has a new not so skilled maintenance person or the planting scheme is to be changed anyway.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 12:27AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
graywings123

Thank you!

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 8:55AM
More Discussions
strange baby foliage
Rosidah
hostaholic2 z 4, MN
Wisconsin Illinois Lily Society news
Our winter Lecture Series is beginning this weekend! On...
linnea56
What the heck happened to my hybrid lilies
I brought this pot of lilies at home depot and it was...
tlbean2004
I'm sensitive to lily smell- has anyone heard of this before?
I don't mean to judge or critisize anyone for their...
hjihji
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™