japanese beetle question

unclehead_gwJuly 10, 2010

Two years ago, a friend who lives a mile away mentioned having a lot of JB in his garden. I commented that I had not seen a JB in our yard in years. Wow, talk about jinxing yourself ! Last year we were covered up with the darn things. I had two rows of pole beans and four rows of bush beans. I was determined that I was not going to spray any insecticide and started knocking the JB into a can of soapy water. Before the summer was over I gave in and sprayed Sevin mixed at 1/2 strength. With the long overtime hours at work and the amount of beetles, I would have practically had to live in the garden to have the soapy water method do any good. During the time I was hand-picking them, I removed literally hundreds from the pole beans ,yet didn't find more than 3 or 4 on the bush beans the entire summer. Was this a coincidence or do the pole beans give off a more attractive odor? Someone suggested that they fly in to the tallest plant, but I don't know if I'm buying that. They have just appeared this year and the same pattern is holding. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tworivers1

I tend to believe that. I don't have any bush beans but they love my pole beans and raspberries and I only find them on the higher branches.

Even on my crepe myrtles (which they also love) I only find them higher up.

Just my experience.

Mark

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 9:58PM
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

I've noticed the same thing in my garden: JBs on the pole beans, no JBs on the bush beans. I don't know why, but the height theory sounds promising. What if we keep the pole varieties on short strings or fences? Oh, wait, part of why I like the pole beans is because you don't need to bend so much to pick them :)

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 10:10PM
unclehead_gw

Naturegirl, Trouble I have is the deer like the bush beans so they don't have to reach up for the pole beans. LOL I can't win.

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Japanese Sword Beans
Anyone grow these. Kitizawa seed company offers them....
denninmi
Beans and leafrollers
Several years ago I was growing Rattlesnake pole beans...
madabouteu
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Stringless pole bean?
Hello, I would like to find a good pole bean that has...
cowabunga1
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™