Supporting my bush beans? Dumb?

womanhead(5a)July 22, 2007

I had a great crop of beans this (my first) year. I planted Burpee Mello Yellows and Greencrop. I got about 30 lbs of the green and 40lbs of yellows. While things are fresh in my mind I would like to figure out what I may have done wrong. My first picking was pristine and bountiful. After picking my plants seemed to fall on their sides, and all later pickings had brown spots and some rust. Not a big problem, but I wasted a fair amount of beans. Would running 2 lines along each side to keep them upright be a good idea or over kill? Any other ideas? Thanks Lauren

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

Mine always get top heavy too and nearly always end up falling over...I suppose the string might help keep them off the ground...you think the brown spots were caused by them being on the groung? Did it look like something had chewed on them or that they just turned brown.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 7:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RuthieG__TX(z8 TX)

Sorry I should have added that in my opinion the brown spot and rust would probably be caused by a fungus and might need more than just standing up...but you can better determine that.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 7:56AM
More Discussions
Anybody know what cultivar????
Sorry about the blurry phone pics... We've been growing...
mav72
Germination Test #1 Chinese Long Green long bean
My family has grown this variety of long bean since...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
Catjang/Brow Bean
I saw an interesting Vigna offered on eBay the other...
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
2015 Growing season
I've just been going through my stash making a list...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Insuk's Wang Kong (red scarlet runners) part 2
I am the one that wrote the last post, so I am starting...
cabrita
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™