Is my setup good enough? (For orchids and carnivorous plants)

Dante1709October 15, 2013

I'm currently growing a Nepenthes ventricosa as well as Nepenthes maxima x talangensis seeds (that haven't germinated for about a month, which is typical) under lights, by a window.

I was a bit concerned because of the light that it gets. It's a SE window with a total of 2000 watts along with reflective surface in a 20-gallon terrarium.The plants are 5 inches under the lights. I'm concerned because the weak lights, and because the window is above the terrarium ; only a few strong rays shine everyday. The ventricosa is fine ; grows new leaves quite fast but only has one pitcher..

I'm getting an Oncidium twinkle and I'll probably end up adding pings, sundews, phals and paphs.

Because of the size of the terrarium, I was thinking about changing my setup.. Would a unblocked, East (bordering North-East, although it does get some sun) with a table stretched out be enough? I was thinking about adding around 5000 lumens (with a two-bulb 48" fluorescent) as supplemental lighting and keeping the nepenthes and paph. in the terrarium.

More Discussions
Correcting Lighting Later?
Hello, I am germinating Palmer amaranth for an experiment...
Tigger033
Please help. Plant hanging after transplant
Hi. I need urgent help. My small chili mini container...
gustaph
Experience with "Sunlite" T-5 systems?
I was looking at this set up from Gardeners Supply... http://www.gardeners.com/buy/grow-light-stand-with-two-shelves/8590049.html?start=8&cgid=GrowLightsStands_Cat My...
SunshineZone7
growing tomatoes indoors; what lights to use? help!
I basically want to grow tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants,...
kawaiineko_gardener
New to Forum - some questions, comments about heating mats
I have been starting flower seeds indoors for years...
snapdrag
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™