Lighting for my African Violets

maryeis(z7NJ)October 2, 2009

This question is for you African Violet growers. I am using T-8 Fluorescents over my trays and have approx. 6" of headroom between the plants and tubes. Last year my violets did not do well, the leaves were pale and brownish in spots. I'm wondering if this is the result of too little fertilizer or too much light or plants too close to the tubes.

Any feedback on this question would be appreciated.

Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
biowheel(Zone 8)

I find that my AV's grow very flat if too much light. Conversely, too little light and they reach up. In regards to brown spots that depends. Could be from splashed cold water on the leaves while other spots can be from lack of ferts. I'd say you should get a light meter and get an accurate foot candles measurement and then you can rule out the light. I use ferts regularly at half-strength and don't have any issues. Also make sure ur pot is a third of the diameter of the plant. bioWheel

Bookmark   October 2, 2009 at 11:31PM
struwwelpeter(5)

African violets prefer a lot less light.

The owner of a commercial orchid farm, Hauserman's Orchids, used to throw African Violet leaves onto the ground under his benches. The light was so dim under these benches that no weeds would grow there. There the African Violet leaves would sprout, take root, and grow to over 2 ft. wide.

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 12:35PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

I just visited a local private greenhouse owner who collects violets, tons of them in FULL bloom..
My GOD they were so beautiful...I remember seeing his regular flurescent bulbs at least 1 foot up over them...
He also said he feeds them at every watering at 1/4 dose than recommended..Now if I had thought to ask him what he feeds with and how long he keeps his lights on, I would of been good...... Sheesh...

Bookmark   October 3, 2009 at 4:49PM
More Discussions
Browning and drying avocado leaves
I've been growing two avocado plants for about 10 months...
leuconoe
Grow Lights vs Outdoor Greenhouse for indoor seeds
Good afternoon, I am starting a lot of seeds indoors...
Kim Phelan
Timers that reduce and increase lighting to simulate seasons
I was talking to MesaGardens today and he mentioned...
Bama_Joe
Which is better; 1300 lumen LED or 1300 lumen CFL?
I was wondering if there is a difference between LED...
dxniel
Will these grow anything?
For a school project we decided to do an experiment...
MrBlubs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™